Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Note On Nettles


If any of you have brushed up against this little gem with a bare arm, leg, or cheek (you know what I mean if you've been crouching with paper in hand) then you will not soon forget the reason it is called the "stinging" nettle. This plant was once not cursed as a noxious weed but valued as a pot herb and fiber plant. As soon as the frost goes out of the ground the little green ruffled leaves pop up; some of the very first green you will see. I keep watching my "patch of the little beauties" with anticipation this year rather than grudging resentment as it was one of the agents party to the demise of my champion Iris bed. I have visions of nettle soup, nettle puddings, and nettle quiches - all common medieval fare. I also have been working on extracting fiber from mature nettle stems that have overwintered behind my corn crib. All these endeavors and their results will be posted in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment